Information architecture affects people – there’s no doubt about that. And in any practice that affects people, a range of ethical issues come into play. Each and every decision we make can help or hurt many – our users, clients, peers and even our profession as a whole.This presentation will examine some of the ethical issues that we face as information architects, including:
- The myriad of effects of our design decisions on users
- Working with clients and peers
- The consequences of creating categories and classifying objects
- What inclusive design really means
- Personal beliefs and their role in projects
- How can we design for sustainability
I’m not a philosopher, so this presentation will be very much from a practitioner’s perspective. It may even be funny!