This full day workshop will provide you with a thorough overview and understanding of information architecture theory & practice. It will cover a wide range of IA issues, including an understanding of how it fits into a project, fundamental skills & knowledge required for IA work and current IA issues. It will be theoretical and practical and allow you to immediately apply ideas to your projects.
This workshop will cover:
- What information architecture is and how it relates to other user experience disciplines
- Core IA techniques – analysing content, conducting user research, card sorting and more
- Core IA theories – classification, categorization, metadata & labeling
- IA structures – hierarchies, database and other structures
- Designing navigation & page layouts
- Putting it together in an IA project
- Current issues in IA
The workshop will be at the level of an ‘advanced intro’, covering the basics and also allowing exploration of key challenges and issues. The format is a combination of short lectures, group discussion and hands-on activities. Extensive notes and resources will be provided for further personal exploration.
After the workshop, the participants will have:
- An understanding of fundamental IA concepts and issues
- An understanding of processes and techniques often used in an IA project
- Hands-on experience with key techniques
- Shared skills with other practitioners